Monday, December 14, 2009

1 Down, 29 to go. (Sun Life Stadium-Miami)



I really don't remember what my first baseball game in person was, it was probably something my dad took me to when I was small, so I don't have that in person OMG I love baseball epiphany that some people have. That didn't come until I was 17 and I was flipping channels at my old house, home by myself, when I came across the 1997 World Series Game 7, Marlins vs. Indians, and saw Edgar Renteria knock in Craig Counsell for the winning run in the 11th. I guess it's just as simple as it brought me happiness in a very hard time in my life, and has continued to bring me happiness since then. At that moment my love for baseball and the Florida Marlins was sealed.

I've seen probably close to double digits of Marlins games, what can you say about Joe Robbie Pro Player Dolphins Dolphin LandShark Stadium? It's a football stadium in which a baseball diamond is wedged for 81 games a year. The concessions (where there are any) pretty much stink, the sight lines stink, the Dolphin-branded seats stink, but ummm...it does have a nice video board. That's like saying a girl has a nice personality, but hey, I'm a gentleman.

I cannot wait for the new stadium in 2012 and you better believe I'll be the first person in line to get in on opening day.

Regardless of all the above, I look back to fond memories spent watching Marlins games with my dad, with college friends, with newer friends. I often hear that baseball is too slow for some people, and that's fine, but I love it that way, we could all use a little slow down in our lives. Baseball is great to just sit and talk with a loved one or a date, the other sports are too fast and frenetic to really do that.

Pictorial evidence of one of the games I attended back in 2007, Giants vs. Marlins, above.


No comments:

Post a Comment