Saturday, December 19, 2009

2 Down, 28 to go. (Tropicana Field-St. Petersburg)





I'm not sure what the builders of Tropicana Field were thinking, I mean you can see that they tried, and there's been some renovations recently, but to me it's just not a pretty place to see a game. Coming down I-275 through St. Petersburg you're greeted by a large tuna can like structure, only if you mashed one side of the can with a hammer because the roof is tilted to one side. The Ebbets Field-inspired rotunda is a nice feature, but the concessions are just so-so. There is also a tank in centerfield that one can pay to go in and feel up a cownose ray. Pretty neat, even if it does leave you feeling a little dirty. There are myriad hand sanitizers and sinks in that area for that purpose. Once at your seat, you can't help but notice the catwalks up above which have befuddled many a player and umpire in their day.

Maybe I'm just bitter because the Marlins lost to the Devil Rays that day, but I couldn't help but feeling that this is what it must be like to watch baseball in a post-apocalyptic age.

No comments:

Post a Comment