Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Hope springs eternal. (Roger Dean Stadium-Jupiter)




Besides my goal of visiting all 30 ballparks to catch the essence of something which I do not even really fully grasp myself (life itself, or something grand like that) I also enjoy visiting minor league parks and seeing games. Back in early 2008 I visited Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, the spring training home of the Marlins and Cardinals and the Florida State League (Low A) Jupiter Hammerheads. It's close to my house, I went with my dad, and even though I'm pushing 30 it was still a nice father son bonding moment.

We went for the first spring training game, the Marlins were playing the Washington Nationals, in a downright chilly (in the 40s) night for South Florida. The stadium itself is a great place to see a ball game. There's not a bad seat in the house, concessions everywhere (notice how I keep coming back to concessions) and they do a great job with promotions and getting everyone involved. It's also really great for kids.

Especially early in Spring Training, the guys you're watching on the field, you know it's highly likely they'll never catch a sniff of a major league game. What keeps them going? It's gotta be the 1% chance that they'll make it, to have their Crash Davis moment, to have your name announced on the PA system to tens of thousands of screaming fans. It's gotta be what keeps the 40 year old grizzled vet on a team of 19 year old studs going, that maybe, just maybe, the next phone call will be for him. That in spite of 8 hour long bus rides, tired knees, tired minds, there's always hope, and if there's hope, there's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment